A brief timeline of SCTC.
- 1901 – The first phone of record in Stayton was that of J.M. Kitchen, MD, on August 2, 1901 on the corner of Second and High Streets. His phone number was 23.
- 1905 – On March 8, The Stayton Mutual Telephone Company was organized to provide telephone service for the town of Stayton.
- 1914 – The Stayton Switch Board Association was formed to handle the switching and long distance of the community. Companies at this time were Stayton Mutual, Sublimity Whiteline, Lone Oak Co., Kingston Short Line, Yeonan Line, Scio Line, Lambert Whitney Line, West Stayton Line, Fern Ridge Co., Jordan #2, Kingston Line and Sublimity Telephone Co. Later there were a total of 18 companies.
- 1955 – Stayton Cooperative Telephone Company was incorporated on January 14th. All existing lines and property of the existing 18 companies were incorporated at a total value of $15,423. The incorporators and first Directors were G.A. Sandner, Merle Crane, Gus Kirsch, Ed Bell, Mike Benedict, George Tate and Irvin Parberry.
- 1962 – The Columbus Day Storm on October 12th put more than half of our customers out of service.
- 1968 – The first buried cable was put into service. With buried cable, our Company could withstand a natural disaster like the 1962 Columbus Day Storm with virtually no trouble
- 1976 – Improved Mobile Telephone Service (IMTS) was provided to customers in our area; these phones were installed in all types of cars, trucks and farm equipment.
- 1979 – In January, our new warehouse was completed across the river on Kingston-Jordan Road in Linn County.
- 1980 – SCS Communications & Security, Inc. was formed on July 15th to provide telephones, equipment and alarm systems.
On August 1st, we changed our Central Office equipment to a DMS100/200 Electronic Digital Switching System, offering many new services to our customers.
- 1985 – On May 30th, Western Cellular, Inc. was incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of SCTC and invested in cellular service areas throughout Oregon. Ownership was later transferred to SCS.
In December, our first fiber optic system was in service from Stayton to Scio.
- 1991 – Ken Sandner retires after 16 years with the company as General Manager
- 1995 – In January, Willamette Valley Internet (WVI) was formed with Scio MutualTelephone Association as a partner.
On July 1st, we purchased cable television properties from Northland Cable Television, including Stayton, Lyons, Mehama, Mill City, Gates, Idanha, Detroit and Turner.
- 1997 – On May 15th, we purchased People’s Telephone Co. in Lyons
A remodel of our Business Office was completed in December and on December 22nd we dedicated the building to Gus Kirsch.
- 1998 – The Stayton / Sublimity Chamber of Commerce named SCTC 1997 Business of the Year.
- 1999 – Got into the Long Distance business
- 2000 – Robert Schumacher retires after serving on the Board for 39 years and Chairman of the Board for 17 years
- 2001 – Completed construction of new office building at 502 N 2nd Avenue
- 2003 – Purchased 411 N Second Avenue building
- 2007 – Richard Smith retires after 33 years on the Board and 9 years as Chairman of the Board
First year of Fiber to the Home buildout
- 2009 – Central Office remodel
Leased 41818 Kingston/Jordan to the Senior Center
Consolidated Business Solutions, LLC (CBS) was created in partnership with Canby Telephone Association and Beaver Creek Cooperative Telephone Company. Late in the year SCTC accounting staff transferred to CBS and perform accounting duties for all three companies.
- 2013 – Signed agreement with ClearView to get back into the security business
- 2015 – Don Lawrence retires after thirty years with the company and 23 years as President/CEO. Curt Thornton is appointed President/CEO. Erik Hoefer is appointed Assistant Manager.